Skip to main content

Sedona Lights

“Excuse me,” I said, gaining the attention of the hotel’s front desk clerk. “Can you suggest a place for us to grab a bite to eat?”

The clerk gave me a puzzled look and said “At this late hour?”

I looked at my watch. It was not even 8:30p.m. How could 8:30 be considered late? I glanced at my traveling companion, who seemed just as puzzled as I by this comment.

“Yes,” I finally responded. “Just something quick. Not too expensive.”

“Well . . .” the clerk said, obviously trying to think of a way to answer my seemingly simple question. “The café down the street might still be open. But, I cannot say for sure.”

This was my introduction to Sedona, Arizona. In 2004, I had traveled to the Phoenix suburb of Scottsdale for a friend’s wedding. As it was my first time in Arizona, I decided to stay and visit a few other cities. Joining me was another east coast-based friend, who was also in Scottsdale for the wedding. We were driving to the southern rim of the Grand Canyon, when we decided to stop in Sedona. Known for its terra-cotta-hued mountains, Sedona is situated almost exactly halfway between Phoenix and the Canyon’s southern rim. This has made it a popular place for tourists.

Prior to arriving in Sedona, I had done quite a bit of advance planning, as I usually do when I travel. I had read about about its expansive red rock vistas, numerous sites and its connection to the new age movement. I had not, however, read about one of its more interesting local ordinances. At the time of my visit - and perhaps still today - Sedona businesses were required to turn off all exterior lighting by 9p.m. At first, this ordinance seemed odd to me. But, its intent soon became clear.

On the hotel clerk’s suggestion, my friend and I drove down the highway, to a large diner. At any other time, I could tell that this restaurant would probably have been crowded. Its location on Sedona’s main highway made it very visible to passing traffic. It had a huge menu, with something for nearly every taste. But, on this night, it was practically empty. In addition to my friend and I, only two other diners were noticed. Leaving the restaurant, I noticed that all of the surrounding businesses were completely dark. With the exception of traffic signals, no exterior lights were visible for nearly as far as I could see.

Without the distraction of illuminated neon signage, one’s eye was instantly drawn overhead. The starry night sky silhouetted the red rocks in the distance. As someone who is used to the constant presence of a large city’s skyline, I was unaccustomed to a sight like this. Such a quiet, unobstructed view was almost mesmerizing. There was nothing to disrupt it. No passing airplanes. No idling cars. Not even a single light for hundreds of yards. It was quite the sight . . . even at that late hour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catch A Cab

We had been walking for about forty-five minutes, making our way from Manhattan’s South Street Seaport to the Macy’s flagship store on 34th Street. When we were within fifteen blocks of our destination, some of my companions decided that we should complete our journey by cab. Despite my attempts to convince them to keep walking, they were insistent. The trip that ensued was a true New York experience. After a few minutes of trying, one of my companions was able to hail a cab. However, we wanted to go north. The cab that stopped was going south. It did not seem to matter, though, as my companions still got in the cab. One person sat in the front while I slipped into the backseat, between the other two. Hardly before the doors could close, the driver had fought his way into Manhattan traffic. Without warning, he took a sharp right turn onto a side street and began to head north, steadily increasing his speed. Within seconds, the cab was weaving a

When in Rome . . . or Seattle

What was I doing here? I do not even drink coffee. Besides, all of these places basically look the same. This place was no different, really. What was the point of my being here? I had no intention of ordering coffee. Yet, there I was, standing in a tiny Starbucks Coffee shop in Seattle. I was not alone. The store was packed to the point where I could hardly move. While most of the people in the store had a drink in hand, I spotted a few who, like me, were just looking around. In any other city, this might have seemed exceedingly strange, going to Starbucks with no intention of getting coffee. But, this was different. This was the first Starbucks. Seattle and coffee are somewhat linked. It was in Seattle that coffee became a pastime. What was once a drink largely reserved for mornings and evening meals, became a day-long obsession. Granted, Starbucks is just another large corporation. But, it was in Seattle that Starbucks began. Seeking out the first store see

Looking At My Luggage

More than twenty four hours had passed since I had arrived in Washington, D.C. My luggage was still nowhere to be found. Despite the promises of the airline’s agents, my missing suitcase had not yet been delivered. With no other alternative, I had spent the day touring Washington in the clothes that I had worn a day earlier. Clothes that I was still wearing. A full day had passed. My friend and I had returned to her house from dinner to find that my belongings remained missing. I promptly began calling the airline, trying to track down my baggage. The agent assured me that my luggage had been located and dropped off at my friend’s home by a delivery service the previous evening. I assured her that it had not been delivered. After more than fifteen minutes of her continued assurances, I was transferred to the delivery service. As with the airline, the delivery service assured me that my luggage had been dropped off, going so far as to give me a specific time at which i