Skip to main content

Self-Guided Tour

In my travels, guidebooks have been of tremendous assistance. Guidebooks have lead to great restaurants, must-see attractions, and more than a few nice hotels. However, there have been some pieces of information that even the most complete guidebooks have not revealed. Though they may initially seem to be a negative, these omissions can add to the traveling experience. In some cases, it is not what you know, but what you discover that makes traveling a true adventure.

In even the largest of cities, there are still tiny, out of the way places to be found. Places that, without a keen or, perhaps, curious eye, one might otherwise miss. It is these places that often prove to be among the more memorable moments of any journey. For me, a great example of this is Manhattan’s Trinity Church. My first encounter with this Church came about entirely by accident. Wandering the crowded alleyways of the financial district, near the intersection of Wall Street and Broadway, I noticed a number of tombstones surrounded by a wrought iron fence. I did not think much of this, until I began to notice the dates on the stones, the majority of which were from the middle to late eighteenth century. Detouring from my sightseeing, I found my way into the cemetery and spent more than one hour exploring the courtyard-sized plot of land.
Before long, I became curious about the unimposing brown brick structure located next to the graveyard. The sign at the entrance marked this structure as Trinity Church. Entering the Church, I found myself in a dimly lit sanctuary with several dozen pews leading up to a small altar. As I walked around the sanctuary, I could not help but notice the paradoxical quality of this place. The surrounding buildings hosted some of the most frenzied business dealings in the world. Yet, this small church, with its unassuming architecture and equally small, courtyard-style cemetery seemed to be a respite, of sorts. The only audible noise was that of a small choir rehearsing for an upcoming service

After my visit, curiosity got the better of me and I began to read about Trinity Church and its surprising place in Manhattan’s history. The Church, I learned, had been the onetime seat of the Church of England in New York. Trinity, in fact, had been the Anglican Church’s first home at New York’s founding. Continuing my research, I would learn that the small cemetery I had explored held a part of American history. Buried in one of its larger graves, among some of Manhattan’s earliest residents, was Alexander Hamilton, the Treasury Secretary under George Washington.

Traveler’s guidebooks can lead to many places. They can tell you the
do’s . . . and don’ts . . . of life in a different city. Yet guidebooks cannot tell you everything. Had I relied solely on a guidebook, I might have missed Trinity Church entirely. While I certainly was not the first traveler to find this tiny landmark, it was no less of a discovery for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catch A Cab

We had been walking for about forty-five minutes, making our way from Manhattan’s South Street Seaport to the Macy’s flagship store on 34th Street. When we were within fifteen blocks of our destination, some of my companions decided that we should complete our journey by cab. Despite my attempts to convince them to keep walking, they were insistent. The trip that ensued was a true New York experience. After a few minutes of trying, one of my companions was able to hail a cab. However, we wanted to go north. The cab that stopped was going south. It did not seem to matter, though, as my companions still got in the cab. One person sat in the front while I slipped into the backseat, between the other two. Hardly before the doors could close, the driver had fought his way into Manhattan traffic. Without warning, he took a sharp right turn onto a side street and began to head north, steadily increasing his speed. Within seconds, the cab was weaving a

When in Rome . . . or Seattle

What was I doing here? I do not even drink coffee. Besides, all of these places basically look the same. This place was no different, really. What was the point of my being here? I had no intention of ordering coffee. Yet, there I was, standing in a tiny Starbucks Coffee shop in Seattle. I was not alone. The store was packed to the point where I could hardly move. While most of the people in the store had a drink in hand, I spotted a few who, like me, were just looking around. In any other city, this might have seemed exceedingly strange, going to Starbucks with no intention of getting coffee. But, this was different. This was the first Starbucks. Seattle and coffee are somewhat linked. It was in Seattle that coffee became a pastime. What was once a drink largely reserved for mornings and evening meals, became a day-long obsession. Granted, Starbucks is just another large corporation. But, it was in Seattle that Starbucks began. Seeking out the first store see

Looking At My Luggage

More than twenty four hours had passed since I had arrived in Washington, D.C. My luggage was still nowhere to be found. Despite the promises of the airline’s agents, my missing suitcase had not yet been delivered. With no other alternative, I had spent the day touring Washington in the clothes that I had worn a day earlier. Clothes that I was still wearing. A full day had passed. My friend and I had returned to her house from dinner to find that my belongings remained missing. I promptly began calling the airline, trying to track down my baggage. The agent assured me that my luggage had been located and dropped off at my friend’s home by a delivery service the previous evening. I assured her that it had not been delivered. After more than fifteen minutes of her continued assurances, I was transferred to the delivery service. As with the airline, the delivery service assured me that my luggage had been dropped off, going so far as to give me a specific time at which i